Monday, May 24, 2010

New Experience in Painting

All my life I thought I only had a creatistic ability for putting things together in scrapbooks and collages but in October of last year I started oil painting with the instruction of a friend. I have never tried to create anything realistic before considering I can barely draw stick figures but it turns out that I am not completely horrible with a paintbrush in hand. I have completed several paintings just messing around or things people have asked me to do and hopefully with practice I will get better. I just wanted to share my experience for those of you out there who might not believe in your ability or have started a new hobby and would like some help.


Supplies:
1. synthetic bristle brushes ( any will work but synthetic bristles don't fall out as easily and get stuck in the paint)
2. basic set of oil paints of all colors (I bought a set with all the colors in small amounts--- Georgia and Reeves are good brands that don't require mixing with linseed oil)
3. Canvas of any size or thick paper that won't bleed through when painted upon
4. Acetone or Paint thinner (to clean brushes or to thin areas of your work)

No comments:

Post a Comment